Monday, September 13, 2010

Como Estas

Hey all you blog reading peoples! You can't say that you're not a blog reader if you're reading this because it's a blog! This blog is dedicated to my Food Ethics class. My name is Hassan Malik and I am a freshman at LaGuardia Community College. I've just recently moved into the city from North Carolina where I've lived for most of my life. Now I reside in Spanish Harlem with my father and his family, where there's always something good cooking.

I'm Pakistani and Puerto Rican but I live in a Pakistani household so most if not all of the food we cook is Pakistani, luckily I'm surrounded by my fellow Puerto Ricans as soon as I step outside if I ever need my fix (spanish food). Most of our meals consist of rice, lentils, chicken, lamb, goat, and lots of vegetables. For the most part it is always spicy. My favorite dish to eat at home is chicken briyani, it consist of rice with chicken but has a distinct taste that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

As far as food shopping stands my father goes to Jackson Heights once or twice a week to get our groceries, he's been buying it there ever since I can remember. Not only is most of the food cheaper over there but in order to follow his religion (Islam) he and the rest of the household must eat halal meats. I however was raised by my Puerto Rican mother so pretty much everything is fair game for me, but I do respect the household by not bringing outside meats home. But when im not in the house you can usually find me eating pizza, I personally think pizza is the greatest thing ever created by people, sometimes I think that aliens might have come down and taught humans how to make something so great! 

Since this is a blog I think I'm supposed to say whatever I'm feeling, and since the blog is about food and ethics and I feel that I must bring up something that came to my mind during environmental ethics this morning. Why have those little brats in the Trix cereal commercial never shared their cereal with the rabbit. They are selfish and it makes no sense...

end.

2 comments:

  1. hello there
    I agree with most of written in your blog. im puerto rican also and i must admit the food is great. i have friends that are from pakistan and i see how they eat and how strict there parents are with bringing outside food in can be . i just had 1 question . which would you prefer to eat if you had a choice paki or p.r. food ? i love pizza also . i think its the best grab and go food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Hassan,
    I must say I'm totally on your side with the whole pizza ordeal, I personally think its one of the best fat foods probably top 3. I'm also pretty sure that since we're both hispanic most of the spanish food you eat i can relate to. To me pizza hut and and papa john's are the best but unfortunately as you will soon come to find out there aren't much of those in the city. Besides pizza what other kinds of food do you like?

    ReplyDelete