Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blog Project

I always figured that college would be much more useful than high school as far as real life application goes but I never thought a class could impact my daily life and daily habits so strongly! You could pretty much say I used to eat some form of fast food every day. When I’m not eating fast food I’m stuffing my face with whatever is being cooked in my house. Stuffing my face aimlessly just trying to fill my stomach without ever thinking about how my food came to be. How were my chicken breasts treated before I devoured them, how was my spinach grown before I made it vanish into the black hole that is my stomach? It may sound ignorant, but I had never even questioned if a certain type of food could make me feel better, always searching for great taste and the best bang for my buck I can honestly say I was oblivious to how big of an impact food has on me.
            So for my project I plan to explore the city to try and find new healthy and ethically good places to eat. When I say healthy I mean healthy for the environment, healthy for the eater, and even economically healthy places. To find these places I will go online and generate a list of restaurants and food place and attempt to visit them all. After visiting the restaurant I will take a couple photos and write a brief review of my experience. During the course of my project I plan to interview restaurant owners, try new foods, and gain a better understanding of how important food is and how big of a role it plays in everything we do.
            Through this project I plan to provide myself and my readers with healthy alternatives to the places where we constantly eat. I will share my first hand experiences in an attempt to get my readers to try new things. Every week I will try to visit at least two places on the list, possibly three or four depending on how hungry I am! Eating is one of my top five favorite things to do so I am really looking forward to this project and I expect that my closeness with the subject will surely show in each post. 

5 comments:

  1. Well Hassan i actually like the idea of you going to different places to find new healthy and ethically good places to eat. i also think i can relate to your project because i kind of want to do the same but more base on how much calories the food can contain. Now the funny thing is that i can agree with you is that thanks to these class we are taking i have also been careful with what i eat and how much I eat of it. But yeah i wish you luck on your adventure. Make sure you carry petobismole with you lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hassan,

    I don't think this class will make me a vegetarian, but I think I will stop eating fast food after what I learn about it. In honesty, I can relate to how you eat, because usually when i'm outside or there is nothing to eat at home, I just eat fast food because its conveienent and delicious. One of my cousins eats fast food so much, so that's why I relate to that. Your blog project sounds very interesting,Lol like a healthy version of super size me. I hope to read more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoleine: I'm glad you’re interested and I hope to see you commenting on my posts. I read yours and I also noticed that we are doing something similar so we might be able to help each other out! I have a strong stomach so I'm sure I won’t need Pepto-Bismol but when I do I'll definitely hit you up!

    Anwar: I have definitely stopped eating fast food and I think a lot of us are going to be able to relate because most of us have been eating fast food since we were kids. I can’t lie I miss it a little bit because I have so many good childhood memories associated with going out to fast food places and I'm looking forward to this sort of "new start".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I defiantly get what you're saying about those childhood days. I remember when me and my cousins would always order out or go to the place and stuff our faces with fast food. Of course it was great but we had no idea of what we were acually eating. Neither did our parents. I hope to get some good ideas from you're posts since our topics are similar. Keep on posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah as much I love home cooked meals, I find that most of my memories as far as food goes is associated with fast food and how often we used to eat it! It seems kind of crazy that all of this information about fast food wasn’t really made public until now! Our parents have been feeding us unhealthy food for a long time now. It’s pretty bizarre.

    ReplyDelete